The Exchange operated as a hotel from 1871-2008 and has been sitting silently since then. Dr Thomas Bedingfeld purchased lots 85-89 George Street Pinjarra the area where the future Exchange Hotel would be opened. James Rummer Greenacre arrived in WA in 1863 as a warder on the TARTAR, a convict ship. After resigning his position in 1870 he was granted a licence for the Queens Hotel near South Dandalup. He purchased the lots from Dr Bedingfeld and opened the Exchange Hotel transferring the licence from the Queens Hotel to the Exchange.
Dr Bedingfeld moved to the Queens Hotel using it as a residence. Various renovations, alterations and extensions of the building occured over the years.
The Shire of Murray purchased the hotel and surrounding land and plans are well on the way to have the building turned into a useful building once again. With careful planning what heritage aspects of the hotel are left will be preserved in the structure of the new premises.