MURRAY DISTRICTS HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Located at the Old Schoolmaster's House, Edenvale Heritage Precinct, Pinjarra.
Our volunteers are there to greet you on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from 11 am – 3 pm, or by appointment.
The aim of the Historical Society is to research, collect, maintain and share stories of the Murray District that stretches from North Dandalup to Coolup, from West Murray to Dwellingup – and including the vibrant town of Pinjarra. We have a well maintained local history library, interesting displays and a large collection of photographs, documents, and display books.
We also have a strong membership of enthusiastic people and are always looking for additional members to join us. If you have a love of history, in particular of the Murray District, or if you have information to share, please visit us. And if you like what you see, consider becoming a member of our group. Our general meetings with a guest speaker are open to visitors. Other events, including bus trips, are available to members. All visitors are welcome to browse our collections during our ‘open’ hours or by appointment.
HOW INTERESTING IS THIS?
Centenary OPEN DAY 10am-5pm Saturday 5 June 2021
@ Pinjarra Senior High School 16 McLarty Road, Pinjarra.
- 1848 John Fairbairn founded Pinjarra’s first school near the bridge.
- 1857 a small schoolhouse was erected near St. John’s Church but was later washed away.
- 1860 Anthony Cornish built a two roomed cottage which he rented out to the board for a school.
- 1896 a new school was built facing Henry Street.
- 1921 a three roomed primary school and manual training centre was completed in McLarty Road.
- 1951 it was then used as a Junior High School.
- 1959 a Primary School was built in Dixon Avenue.
- 1960 it was then a High School.
- 1965 it became a Senior High School.
- 2021 is the 100 year celebration of the school site in McLarty Road where the current Senior High School stands.
At the Old Schoolmaster’s House in Henry … Come and look through the House as there is much more history to see and learn about!
Do you have an interest in the history of Pinjarra and the Murray Districts?
If you would like to become one of our volunteers, please advise Jill on 0408 846 567 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow our monthly articles in the Community Newspaper for more information about the history of Pinjarra and the heritage buildings of the Murray District. And we always welcome any stories or photos you are willing to share with us.
And we welcome new members.
For information about the Murray Districts Historical Society, its membership and its activities, please contact
Anne Cubitt – Secretary email@example.com
For assistance with research or general questions about local history, contact Merv Beacham on 0417 986 838, or Val King on 0458 673 608
For more photos and stories of the rich history of the Murray, look at our Website murrayhistory.org.au/home or visit us at the Old Schoolmaster’s House within the Edenvale Heritage Precinct.
You can also Like us on Facebook here.
We are grateful to all of our Sponsors, Supporters and our Volunteers
and we look forward to All Visitors during 2021.